Monday, October 13, 2008

Good Neighbor/Bad Neighbor

I hope to get another video ready of Rascal's blessing, but since time is short today, I thought I'd post about something I observed on the way to work this morning.

I happened to look down on the sidewalk and saw some foam pieces, black on one side, white on the other, in varying sizes. They were also on the grass. It didn't take long for me to figure out what they were and it made me sad. Vandals had destroyed someone's Halloween lawn decorations.

Another block down, I saw a friendly gent named Tom. We've gotten into the habit of exchanging a few words about his dog or mine, the weather, or neighborhood happenings as I fly by on my way to the train. I always feel good talking to someone as pleasant as Tom. Also, his wife's garden is a sight to behold. She spends her time creating beauty for everyone in the neighborhood to enjoy. I'm sure I'm not the only one who appreciates her efforts.

Neighbors can be great characters in novels. They can be good or bad, buddies or enemies. There are enormous possibilities of weaving them into a plot, from the best friend to the cheating neighbor. Think about adding a neighbor to your plot if you haven't already.

5 comments:

  1. This reminds me of the time my ex husband Julian went out on Halloween and destroyed jack-o-lanterns and thought it was funny. All I could think of was some poor kid seeing the ruins of his artistic endeavor. One of the reasons this man is an ex.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're so smart Mary--always thinking about the writing life. I just added a neighbor to my latest work and just need to flesh her out. But your entry gives me more ideas about how that should come about.

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Zhadi - That was mean of your ex wrecking the jack-o-lanterns. Good thing he's gone from your life. IMO

    Pamala - Thanks for the compliment. I get most of my ideas for blogs while I'm walking to work or walking the dog. I always wonder what to write about and then something sticks in my mind and, bingo, there it is. Thank goodness. If only it were that easy to finish my books!

    Morgan Mandel
    www.morganmandel.com
    http://morganmandel.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've had my fair share of crummy neighbors, and also some great neighbors. We currently live next door to a small farmer's market, which is beyond annoying. We can't even take our dog out to pee without seventeen curious faces turning to see what's going on next door. That's sad that someone destroyed the Halloween decorations. Some people are so disrespectful.

    If you sign up for NaNoWriMo, let me know. I'd love to buddy up with you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I never have figured out why anyone would want to destroy/steal Halloween or Christmas decorations.

    It makes no sense to me.

    But to write such a character, you have to figure out his/her motivation.

    ReplyDelete

Your Comment Is Welcome