Thursday, June 04, 2009

Close Calls

I thought I had some close calls at Bingo Wednesday evening. For four games, I was one number off when someone else called Bingo.

Actually, they didn't turn out to be the closest call. That happened on the way home. I was singing along to "He thinks he'll keep her," and my friend, Jeanne, turned the radio up even higher so we could hear the song better.

Out of nowhere, a deer jumped right in front of the car. I gasped, I mean, really gasped!! It was right in front of us and we were headed right at it. By some miracle, Jeanne managed to swerve the car without upending it or going off the road, and the deer ran in back of us.

So, looking back at Bingo, those games were nothing compared to the close call on the way home. What about you? Have you experienced any close calls? Or maybe you've put a character in one of your books through a similar experience. Please share.

5 comments:

  1. Glad your friend was able to avoid a collision with Bambi! That would've been a terrible way to end the evening.

    I've only encountered deer on the road twice, and both times it was a herd of them! My reaction was the same for each incident - I gripped the wheel and without reducing speed, shot right through the herd without hitting any of the deer.
    I'd say those were close enough calls...

    L. Diane Wolfe
    www.circleoffriendsbooks.blogspot.com
    www.spunkonastick.net
    www.thecircleoffriends.net

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooh...scary! Glad you had quick reflexes!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hit a deer once. It just leaped in front of me without warning. Scared the bejesus out of me. I stopped to find the deer, but it kept going off into the woods. Did a ton of damage to the front of my car, though.

    Helen
    Straight From Hel

    ReplyDelete
  4. I bet that got your heart rate going! Glad the story had a good ending.

    Jane Kennedy Sutton
    http://janekennedysutton.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. The deer population around these hills can be a major problem with respect to driving! My older daughter almost totaled her first car -a little Chevy Chevette - when a big old buck ran out in front of her, hitting along the driver's side and the front end! At that time, I had been driving for 23 years and had never hit a deer! My first "hit" came in the fall of 1994, on my way to work one Saturday. Luckily, it didn't do much damage -only a little dent in the hood -not even worthy of getting it fixed. My next "hit" came about a year later along the way to work too only that one banged up the right side of the car and the right fender area and the hood but all was still drivable. My third "hit" came on the way home from work one night when a deer ran down off the mountainside and did a direct hit into the driver's door damaging the entire driver's side of the car. Thankfully, the car had no mechanical damage in any of these "hits" but by the time I finally got around to getting the car fixed, the only part of it that had no deer damage was the roof and the hatch-back door! Lovely deer-mobile, huh?

    ReplyDelete

Your Comment Is Welcome