Sunday, June 07, 2009

On the Cutting Room Floor Again


I was selling my books at the Flea Market Saturday in Arbor Vitae, Wisconsin, when a news reporter from Channel 7 in Wausau dropped by. He did interviews of vendors and shoppers. I managed to convince him to take some closeup shots of my books, but as luck would have it, they never made it to the broadcast Saturday night. The angle of the story was about bargains and finds in a tough economy, so apparently my books weren't considered in that category.


Years ago, the DH and I answered an area casting call for seconds in the Blues Brothers Movie. It was quite a warm day. There were also quite many of us. It was our job to walk back and forth along a street in Long Grove, Illinois. A beach scene followed at Sunny Hill Beach in Wauconda. I still remember how uncomfortable the heat was. I also remember the great lunch truck packed with wonderful meals for all of us. I think we got $75.00 a day for our duties, but am not positive since it was so long ago.

Anyway, we landed on the cutting room floor. No matter how many times we watched the movie, we couldn't catch glimpses of us amongst all the others in the crowd. In a book about the movie, we swear we could see the DH's back, but that's as close as we got to actually being in The Blues Brothers.

Still, I can't help hoping that maybe someday if I keep trying I'll make it big, maybe not on TV, but in some way with one of my books. That's the dreamer in me.
By the way, the weather was cool, but not as cold as last Saturday. Still, attendance was down, apparently since vacationers don't come in droves until after school lets out. I did sell more books than last time and met more great customers and vendors. All in all, a pleasant experience I'll repeat when I come back for vacation around Labor Day.
Heading home today.

5 comments:

  1. Cool to have even been there for the Blues Brothers though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been in 3 movies I think, as an extra. I seemed to have found my niche - woman in the back of the courtroom. ;-)

    Helen
    Straight From Hel

    ReplyDelete
  3. Helen, that's funny! Glad you know your speciality.

    While I've been on the news with my books many times, never had a chance to do a movie...

    L. Diane Wolfe
    www.circleoffriendsbooks.blogspot.com
    www.spunkonastick.net
    www.thecircleoffriends.net

    ReplyDelete
  4. Of all movies to be in, the Blues Brothers would have been the best. I loved both movies and have the soundtracks.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ya know Morgan, as long as you maintain that positive streak in your attitude, you will find your niche and move on and up! The trick I think -or so they tell me -is maintaining the positive thinking. Remember the ant or the little train -"I think I can, I think I can!"

    ReplyDelete

Your Comment Is Welcome