Sunday, September 06, 2009

The Flea Market That Wasn't

I got up early on Saturday so I could get over to the flea market. I was looking forward to selling autographed copies of Killer Career. The spot was down the block, not too far away, so I thought I'd walk Rascal over first to see how things were going.

That's when I discovered the sign, the one that said something like - Due to lack of enough vendors, the flea market is cancelled. Contact xxx at --- for a refund.

I was not a happy camper, to put it mildly. Fortunately, we had not come all the way to Wisconsin just for the flea market. If so, that would have been horrendous. Still, I thought the committee in charge handled it very badly. I had filled out an application and paid for my spot. My contact information was right on there. Now, if there weren't that many vendors, how hard would it have been to notify me that the event was called off?

Has anything like this every happened to you? Please share.

4 comments:

  1. Sorry the event was cancelled! Yes, they should've notified you.

    And yes, just this year I had a speaking engagement all lined up. The organization was excited and was going to really promote my appearance and get me on several radio stations. I was doing one of my seminars and foregoing my fee because the host said everyone would be encouraged to buy books. Well, it got closer & closer to the event, and no radio spots, no reply from the host... I called & emailed. Then, LATE the night before, she emailed me and said sorry, she'd been busy and hadn't promoted and they'd have to cancel. Wow. Then she asked if I'd come in September for a local author event. (I declined. Once burned was enough.)
    I have a rule about speaking engagements - you only miss it in the event of death. Your own!

    L. Diane Wolfe “Spunk On A Stick”
    www.circleoffriendsbooks.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. It didn't happen to me, but just wanted to say sorry for whta must have been a big disappointment! They should have notified the vendors!

    ReplyDelete
  3. No, that hasn't happened to me, but it sounds distressing. How hard would it have been for them to contact the vendors?

    Bob Sanchez
    http://bobsanchez1.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I made good use of the day by sitting on the deck with Rascal, going for a long walk with the DH and Rascal, where we visited friends who were also up at their cottage. I took a nice long nap and caught up on my missed sleep. So, it was still a fun, relaxing day, but not as profitable as I had expected. Ironically, it would have been a perfect day for a flea market. The weather has been fabulous this trip.

    ReplyDelete

Your Comment Is Welcome