Wednesday, April 04, 2012

Please Welcome F.M. (Marilyn) Meredith on Tour For Her Mystery, No Bells

CONTEST: The person who comments on the most blogs on Marilyn (F.M.) Meredith's tour will win three books in the Rocky Bluff P.D. series: No Sanctuary, An Axe to Grind, and Angel Lost. Be sure and leave your email too, so Marilyn can contact you if you are the winner.


F.M. (Marilyn) Meredith
F.M. Meredith, also known as Marilyn Meredith, is the author of over thirty published novels—and a few that will never see print. Her latest in the Rocky Bluff P.D. crime series, from Oak Tree Press, is No Bells. Rocky Bluff P.D. is a fictional beach community between Ventura and Santa Barbara and F. M. once lived in a similar beach area.

Marilyn is a member of EPIC, Four chapters of Sisters in Crime, Mystery Writers of America, and serves as the program chair for the Public Safety Writers of America’s writing conference. She’s been an instructor at many writing conferences.

Website: http://fictionforyou.com/
Blog: http://marilynmeredith.blogspot.com/


About Marilyn's latest mystery, No Bells:





Officer Gordon Butler has finally found the love he’s been seeking for a long time, but there’s one big problem, she’s the major suspect in a murder case.




Paperback: http://amzn.com/1610090861








And Now Marilyn Shares her publishing journey:


DEAD BODIES AND CROOKS


That almost sounds like the title for a mystery doesn’t it? Actually it’s what I encountered along the way on my publishing journey.

I began writing in “the olden days”—the days of typewriters and carbon paper and mailing your whole manuscript off in a box with another addressed and stamped box inside for it to come back to you.

My first book that I ever sent off to a publisher was an historical family saga based on my family’s genealogy. It was rejected and returned to me many times—often with pages wrinkled, coffee stained and smelling like cigarettes. About every fifth return, I rewrote and retyped it, quite a chore at 500 plus pages.

After nearly 30 rejections it was accepted by a major publisher—and I think it was about a three or four year process. In the meantime I was writing a second saga about the other side of my family. When I sent that one to the same publisher, the editor who had accepted the first one had left the house—new editor wasn’t interested.

I finally found a publisher for that one—and my first encounter with a crooked publisher. The book was published, looked great, never got a royalty and after my first order of books couldn’t get another. Found out the publisher had taken all the money he made and gambled it away in Las Vegas. He eventually went to jail.

Of course I was writing other things by this time. When I finished what I called a Christian horror I couldn’t find a Christian publisher who would publish it because it was too scary and those who published horror thought it was too Christian. Found a small press, publisher loved the book, but he wanted me to make it camera ready. Remember this was “the olden days.” No easy way to make the manuscript look like book pages. By this time I did have a computer, but had no clue how I should do this. A friend who owned a computer store, let me use his computer before he store opened and showed me how to do what I needed. I worked on it diligently for weeks. When I was done I contacted the publisher. His wife answered, her husband died and she wasn’t interested in carrying on with the business.

My first mystery was published by another crooked publisher—this one printed 50 copies of my book, cheated a bunch of authors out of co-op money, and fled the country. Fortunately, I found another small press willing to republish that book. She also published the first four of my Deputy Tempe Crabtree mysteries—and then she died. (That was terribly sad, we’d become friends and her death was unexpected.)

I’ve had at least 5 agents along the way, and not one did anything for me. I’ve had encounters with other publishers who weren’t on the up and up, but I’m going to make a really long story a bit shorter and move to the publishing of the Rocky Bluff P.D. series. Final Respects the very first one was picked up by a publisher I found in Writers Market. It was my first experience with an e-publisher. This was long before e-readers came along. The book was wonderfully edited, but buying it was far too complicated.

The Rocket eReader was invented and another publisher picked up the first and second book in the series. We had some problems. The next two books were published as paper and e-books, but the publisher soon went out of business. That’s when Oak Tree Press came along and the next book in the series was published. Since that time, OTP has published the earlier books in the Rocky Bluff P.D. series on Kindle and the latest three as paper and e-books.

And of course that brings us to now and the publishing of No Bells the latest in the Rocky Bluff P.D. series, available in e-book format and trade paperback.

The whole process of getting published is much easier now with computers, the Internet and email.

Find F.M. (Marilyn) Meredith at:
Website: http://fictionforyou.com/
Blog: http://marilynmeredith.blogspot.com/

CONTEST REMINDER: The person who comments on the most blogs on Marilyn's tour will win three books in the Rocky Bluff P.D. series: No Sanctuary, An Axe to Grind, and Angel Lost. Be sure and leave your email too, so she can contact you.

Please welcome Marilyn by leaving a comment, even if you  haven't commented on any of her other tour stops.

34 comments:

  1. WOW Marilyn, you really have been through some terrible experiences in the world of publishing! It is obvious that you not only have talent, but extraordinary drive to continue on after each disappointment. You are an example to anyone looking to get published. Thanks for sharing your story.

    I am following your blog tour and hope to be the winner of your book giveaway at the end. You can reach me at scrapgirl1467 @yahoo.com.

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, my road to publishing has been rocky and full of pot holes. Looking back, I wonder why I kept on going. Thanks for following my blog tour.

      Delete
  2. Welcome to Double M, Marilyn. You are my model! Keep pumping out those great books!

    Morgan Mandel
    http://facebook.com/foreveryoungbook

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
  3. Thank you so much for hosting me today, Morgan!

    Marilyn

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Marilyn!

    Wow! What a publishing life you've lead.

    You should write a story about your first crooked publisher and then kill him off in the book!

    What a fascinating post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I actually left out some of the bumps and potholes along the way. It was great to finally spend some time with you at LCC.

      Delete
  5. A rocky road indeed, Marilyn. Just shows how much perseverance writers need to get going in this business. You've done great. A fascinating life story.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I sometimes wonder why I didn't give up. Too stubborn, I guess.

      Delete
  6. Good gracious, Marilyn. I'm tired just reading all the trials and tribulations! And yet you persevered and kept moving forward. Wow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Helen. This took place over a number of years. Lots of disappointment--but I took the advice so many have given to me, just keep on sending the queries and submissions out.

      Delete
  7. Your eye-opening account sure does show why some of us have had problems along the way. It doesn't mean that the work isn't good. It just might mean that the agent or publisher isn't the right one. But so glad you found a publisher who really likes your interesting work.

    ReplyDelete
  8. At the moment, I have two series and two publishers--both outstanding.

    Thanks for stopping by GB.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Whenever I read some of your horror stories in publishing, Marilyn, I cringe. I don't know if I could have kept going. I'm glad you did. I love both your series. I'm in the middle of reading No Bells right now. I'm still hoping Gordon catches a break.

    Wishing you the best,

    Cheryl

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know Gordon--hope you like the book, Cheryl. Thanks for commenting.

      Delete
  10. It sounds like it has been quite an interesting journey Marilyn.
    You books are wonderful so it certainly was worth it.

    Jan

    janet_kerr(at)msn.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Janet. I have to write, so I think even if I hadn't finally found two good and honest publishers I'd still be writing and submitting.

      Delete
  11. Wow, that is some journey...persistence has certainly paid off for you. I have said before that I love reading about authors and there journey's. This one though makes the top of the list....

    ReplyDelete
  12. It has been quite a journey, Celtic Lady. One I couldn't have possibly imagined when I began.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow -- you are an inspiration in not letting anything stop you. I love the Tempe Crabtree series most especially, so I'm glad you didn't let any of the Dead Bodies and Crooks stop your journey forward.

    Libby

    ReplyDelete
  14. Merciful heavens, Marilyn, though I thought I knew you pretty well, but I had only a minimum idea about your -- um -- adventures in publishing. I've never heard anything to beat those. I consider it almost a miracle that you hung on and am I glad you did! I love both Tempe Crabtree and Rocky Bluff series, and I love thinking of you as a valued friend as well! Congratulations.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Marilyn, your journey has certainly had its share of rough spots. Good for you for always persevering!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Libby, my advice to new authors is always, "Never give up." I could have easily--but didn't.

    Hi, Radine, you are so gracious, and I'm so glad that I met you along the way and now cherish you as a friend.

    Jenny, while it was going on it didn't seem quite as bad as it does when it's written down all in one spot.

    ReplyDelete
  17. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Its great to meet Marilyn! And good luck with No Bells!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wow, Marilyn, I had no idea you'd been through all that. I only had one deadbeat publisher and after reading your history, it doesn't seem so bad. You're an inspiration and a poster girl for perseverance. You're one tough broad, and I love tough broads. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Thank you, Stephen.

    Ha ha, Earl, you described me perfectly--a tough broad, and I probably would add old to that.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Marilyn is an inspiration - and I have never read even ONE of your books. How could that be?

    ReplyDelete
  22. Dani, I feel like you are my friend even though I've never met you. Maybe it's time you tried one of my books.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Wow, Marilyn! And I thought mine was a rocky road to publication! You certainly had your share of pitfalls along the way but you've definitely more than made up for it!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Hi, Patricia, yep, it was a hard way to begin, but it was worth it in the end. To find out where all my blogs are check out my own blog at http://marilynmeredith.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  25. Really enjoying trailing along to learn more about you and your characters. Chance to win is icing on adventure.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Wow, Meredith, thanks for sharing all your experiences. The publishing arena can be tough, that's for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  27. What a great story, Marilyn. I thought I had perseverance lasting through 68 rejections before I found a great small traditional publisher for my memoir last year. And I found it through a cold query.
    It just goes to show that we have to keep working at it to fulfill our dreams.
    Contratulations on your publishing successes. All best.

    ReplyDelete

Your Comment Is Welcome