Tuesday, March 30, 2010

My baby isn't perfect

Okay, I knew it probably wasn't, but since I'm it's mother I still hoped it was. I brought in my first 20 pages of Forever Young to be critiqued at our meeting Monday night.

The result is now I see areas I can make better. I've discovered new ways I can go with my story. Finding these things out before my manuscript goes to an editor is a good thing. So, for the rest of the night, actually maybe 45 minutes, I spent looking over the comments on the written critiques.I'll be going over them more tonight.I'm excited about  trying out the changes and making the story stronger.

What about you? Do you rely only on your own judgment, or do you let your baby be examined by others? Do you pay attention if someone says it's not perfect?

5 comments:

  1. I definitely pay attention when someone else gives advice. Without the valuable critique help at C-N, I wouldn't be a published author.

    But it's important to stay true to the story you want to tell. Advice is just that...it's yours to keep or toss.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My husband is always my first test reader, as he will see the obvious. Plus he really helps with my male characters.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I definitely like to have my work critiqued and find it’s a real eye-opening experience. Though it can sometimes be painful, it is always helpful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous12:21 PM

    98 percent of my book Breakthrough is mine. I listen to my own judgment. But I do listen to feedback from others. But I've found there isn't much I can do with their feedback because I'm stubborn. But I do rely on my editors to polish my diamond in the rough into a shiny shiny gem.

    Stephen Tremp

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous6:08 PM

    Its funny, From all my Beta reviewers I didn't listen to any of them, other than if they liked or didn't like Breakthrough. My editors, that's another story. Overall though, the story is mine.

    Stephen Tremp

    ReplyDelete

Your Comment Is Welcome