Monday, February 08, 2010

Cell Phone or Email?

I can't help but marvel at all the people who walk down the street or drive with a cell phone stuck to the ear. Whatever do they have to talk about for so long?

It's particularly mystifying to me, since I rarily use my  iPhone as a phone. I take photos with it, check my email, and do all sorts of other things instead. The DH and I communicate back and forth on my cell while I'm at work, I'll call other members of the family about plans, or I'll use the phone for long distance calling, but that's about it. I always have a huge amount of units rolled over to the next month.

On the other hand, I'm constantly on the computer using the email feature to communicate with friends, promote my books, arrange book signings, learn all sorts of things, swap jokes, and various other reasons. Somehow email seems more civilized. I'm not demanding someone instantly talk to me. I'm allowing that person to respond when it's convenient, with the understanding that I'm receiving the same courtesy.

Some people say that email has taken away from the personalization of communicating. Maybe, but I tend to believe that even though I don't hear that other person's voice, I'm actually sharing a lot more. I don't know about you, but I tend to reveal more about myself when I write than when I speak.

It's your turn. Tell us, do you prefer cell phone communication over email?  Or, maybe you use them equally?

8 comments:

  1. e-mail. That person then can take their time and get back to me when they can.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I rarely use my cell phone. I only have it for emergency reasons. One night, when I was single and still worked full-time, I was driving home late and my car died. It was cold, I was on the highway, and the next exit was too far away to walk. Didn't have a cell phone, but some man and his two kids picked me up.

    I have to tell you, though, I got into their car hoping I wasn't going to be tomorrow morning's news story.

    I bought a cell phone the next day.

    I communicate all day long via email. Sometimes your meaning can be misunderstood, but I don't have time to write letters anymore and I don't really like talking on the phone.

    Cheryl

    TC&TBC

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm with you guys.

    I have the cell phone for very specific reasons. First and foremost is emergencies. I have three kids, so I want to be in touch with them or their schools, whether I am at home and the phone is down, out of the house, or teaching at another school. Other reasons would be making a call when the house phone isn't charged well, getting a phone number for a store when we're out looking for something, my husband reaching me at work, and so forth.

    I don't use my phone when I'm driving. Anyone trying to reach me knows that either one of my kids will answer and play go-between or I'll let it go to voice mail and answer at my convenience, when I stop somewhere.

    At the same time, I use e-mail all day. I tend to write only one or two physical letters (save business-related ones like query letters) every year. But I write not less than 100 e-mail a day and usually receive thousands of them. I open and read at least 500 e-mail in a day. Can it be misunderstood? Sure, but it also keeps me in touch with people and gets the job done.

    Brenna

    ReplyDelete
  4. My husband claims email is dead, but the hundreds I get a day says otherwise!

    I hate using my cell phone. And I don't use it while driving!!!! Email for me, thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Diane,

    I think e-mail is dead for many young kids keeping in touch with each other. But, it's very much alive and kicking for business uses and adults that don't have the phone glued to the ear, in general...grinning.

    Brenna

    ReplyDelete
  6. I use the text messaging function on my cell phone because that's mainly how my kids communicate with me (both are gone from the house). Frankly, I get more of a response from them if I text rather than when I call, since they don't usually answer my phone calls. Go figure.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous8:28 PM

    I'm definately an email kinda guy. Phones are okay but can be annoying if the other person won't stop talking. Email rules.

    Stephen Tremp

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am a horrible phone person! I would much rather email or text. That way I can think of what I want to say and word it as I wish it to come across. I'm pretty sure I could live without a phone, but have to have my cell phone to text, email, etc, I could just do without the vocal aspect of it, lol

    ReplyDelete

Your Comment Is Welcome