Thursday, November 27, 2008

Black Friday

I'm wondering how many people will be participating in Black Friday sales this year. I hope to get out to at least a few stores and take advantage of the bargains, but this year I'll be extra careful.

I'm not going to fall for as many rebate offers as I did last year. It takes forever to fill out the forms. Then you have to keep track to see if you get your money back again later. If I'm doing the rebate thing, I hope to find a store with online rebates, like Staples, where I don't have to get every little required item together and staple it and address the envelope and spend money on a stamp. At least, with an online rebate I've got half a chance of getting my money back because I can keep track of what's going on.

I also will be thinking twice about exactly what I purchase. If I don't need an item, I won't buy it just because it's at a good price.

Another thing - The time shoppers are asked to get up is turning way too ridiculous! Now doors open at many stores at 4:00 a.m. That means people will probably want to line up at last at 3:00. The way things are going, soon gun-ho shoppers won't be able to go to bed at all! In fact, I've already heard of someone who was in line as early as Tuesday for Best Buy. That is absurd or desperate.

I dislike stores that advertise special buys for Black Friday and don't have many of that item. It's way too disappointing to wait in line and not get what you really came for. Although I don't make it a habit to shop at Meier much, I do remember that that store did carry the sales items in a goodly amount. Unfortunately, I checked their ad and couldn't find anything I wanted to buy.

What does any of this have to do with writing? Well, when you create a character, little things like going to Black Friday sales, rummage sales, garage sales, or clipping coupons can be one way to describe that person's station in life. You can tell that person probably isn't loaded, that is, unless you're describing a scrooge. If you are, wait a little longer and mention the after-Christmas sales instead. (G)

Have a Happy Thanksgiving & a Frantic Black Friday!

Morgan Mandel
http://www.morganmandel.com

4 comments:

  1. Anonymous1:53 AM

    There is too many deals by big corporate now to pass up! That's a great deal, I added it to my search! I love black friday. I did some research, and have all of my shopping preplanned to maximize savings! You would be surprised what kind of deals are out there, if you search for them.

    Custom Black Friday Sales Search

    ReplyDelete
  2. Went to Ace for a dog bed. Found out the one advertised was the wrong size, so we left.
    Went to Walgreens and got some batteries at a good price.
    Tried to go to Carsons on line for the 18 piece Pyrex set but couldn't get to the page that sold it, so I went to Amazon.com and used up one of my gift certificates for the same item. Carsons had a rebate, but Amazon didn't, but I got free shipping at Amazon and only spent $2.97.

    Not sure what else I'll buy today. I'm thinking of checking the Kohl's ad again.

    Morgan Mandel
    http://www.morganmandel.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. After working 13 years in retail, I won't step foot in a store on Black Friday. I've been checking out some of the online deals, but thanks to our rewards cards I will be able to get some items for a lot less than I would have anyway, so I am not stressing about it.

    Besides, the real meaning of Christmas can't be purchased in any store and that's what I prefer to concentrate on.

    Cheryl

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wouldn't go near a store on Black Friday, let alone stand in line at four o'clock in the morning. I did my shopping online this year and got some great deals on ebook readers and books as well as books in print.

    ReplyDelete

Your Comment Is Welcome