Monday, November 17, 2008

Buzz Words and Phrases

When people I know or even strangers use the same words or phrases, I know something's up.

The other day I noticed one of the other women in the office closing her phone conversation with, "Thank you so much." Here I'd thought I was the only one coining that phrase, but apparently not. I must have picked it up myself from somewhere and started using it.

Here are some words and/or phrases popular now and before:

Thank you so much - This year's phrase

Perfect - This one has lasted about 3 years, but is starting to die down.

Whatever - Using this word drives a person crazy. It's also dying out, but great for emphasis on occasion.

Dude

Icky - This one I remember from when I was a child.

Give it up for - Great concert cliche

Went missing - newscasters love this one

Speaking in Diagrams - I hate this one - People say, "Number one..." and then forget to give the rest of the numbers.

Cool

Neat


Do you use these buzzwords? Do you know of others to add to the collection? Please leave a comment.

12 comments:

  1. Anonymous8:58 PM

    LOL, Morgan, where do you come up with all these cool blog posts ideas? I use "way cool" a lot. Let me go think and I'll be back with some more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post!

    How about...

    Let's do lunch

    Think outside the box

    Moving forward

    ReplyDelete
  3. My son would swear my buzz phrase is "we'll see." To that, I'd say, "No way."

    Another one I'm hearing (and using) more and more is to describe something as a "hot mess." Thank you, Project Runway.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think I just left a comment as my boyfriend, David Fitzgerald. Nope, that was me!

    ReplyDelete
  5. And nope, the first comment didn't go through! Sigh.

    Okay, 'Dude' is one I use all the time with my best friend. We will be little old ladies still calling each other 'dude.

    Ones I hate:

    How (fill in the blank) is THAT!

    I'm not gonna go there.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just thought of another one - not.

    As in I like onions - not.

    That used to be popular for a while, but since has faded.

    Morgan Mandel

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous4:34 PM

    The most tired, overused to the point of maddening, ineffective, insincere and meaningless word a waiter can use when leaving your plate and starting to walk away is, "Enjoy."

    Are all waitpersons clones? Did they all read some manual somewhere that said that was the only thing that you could say to a customer?

    ReplyDelete
  8. No sh*t batman!

    You're toast

    If you don't like it, you know what you can do with it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anonymous5:06 AM

    How about "seriously". Hehe. I'm guilty of that one. Or "pitch a fit".

    In Oz the one that annoys me the most is "spit the dummy" which means get upset.

    ReplyDelete
  10. One that I use all the time to get my kids' attention is "Hello!". I never used to used it until I started hanging around my older sister and she said it so much. Now, I actually try to catch myself as I am about to say it because it is kind of rude.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sound good. I hate this phrase and I hear it all the time. My hubby uses it, and I'm about ready to scream. I've caught myself almost saying it and stop before I slap myself up side the head. If you use it, you will see me clench my teeth, roll my eyes, or look away.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Mine is horrible. I say, "your mom," in answer to everything. My husband will say, "Who was that on the phone?"

    "Your mom..." even if it wasn't.

    He asks, "What came in the mail today?"

    I reply, "Your mom."

    It's ridiculous and silly, but I have fun with it. Oddly enough, my husband is the only person I do that to, but it's an ongoing thing.

    ReplyDelete

Your Comment Is Welcome